1. DOCKET NO.: CV795191
2. COURT/BRANCH: SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA - COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA
3. CASE NAME: Roberta Serrano vs. Elliot Mizelle et al.
4. TRIAL TYPE: N/A
5. JUDGE N/A
6. SETTLEMENT DATE: September 23, 2002
7. TYPE OF CASE: Auto Accident – Personal Injury
8. SETTLEMENT AMOUNT: $ 950,000.00
9. COUNSEL A. Plaintiff:
Omar I. Habbas, Esq.
Habbas, Amendola & Nasseri
675 N. First Street, Suite 100
San Jose, CA 95112
Party Represented: Roberta Serrano
B. Defense: David J. Stock, Esq.
Rankin, Landsness, Lahde, Serverian
96 N. Third Street, Suite 500
San Jose, CA 95112
Office: (408) 293-0463
Parties Represented: Elliot & Marian Mizelle
Alex W. Cragie, Esq.
Feeney, Kellett, Wienner & Bush
150 South Los Robes Ave., Ste. 400
Pasadena, CA 91101
Office: (626) 449-3750
FAX: (626) 449-5705
Parties Represented: General Motors Corporation
10. PARTIES: Plaintiff: Roberta Serrano
Date of Birth: 3/22/75 (27 years old)
Defendants: Elliot & Marian Mizelle
General Motors Corporation
11. FACTS: On 1/12/00, plaintiff was driving her vehicle in an easterly direction through an intersection when the defendant pulled into the intersection directly in the path of the plaintiff's vehicle, causing both vehicles to collide. Defendants have disputed liability.
12. CLAIMED INJURIES: Plaintiff sustained the following injuries, including the following: Facial scarring and nerve damage necessitating surgery; chin laceration through and through with a 6 cm intraoral laceration; nasal fracture; right mandible degloving injury deformity; head injury; and lumbar dysfunction/herniated disc with radicular pain into both lower extremities. In addition, Ms. Serrano was diagnosed with post- traumatic stress disorder.
Ms. Serrano is left with residual injuries and restrictions/limitations. She has nerve damage in her face with restrictions in opening her mouth, as well as ongoing back pain.
13: CLAIMED DAMAGES:
Plaintiff incurred approximately $102,350.33 in medical bills. Future medical expenses are disputed.
14: INSURANCE CARRIER:
CAN Personal Insurance
P.O. Box 537002
Sacramento, CA 95853
Adjuster: Rosa Chapin
15: COMMENTS:Case was mediated with Kevin Kelly, Esq. Settled with Mizelle for $950,000.00 Settled with GM under a Confidentiality Agreement.